Update regarding Karena Sylvester, CPA
This is hard for me to write; however, everyone needs to know what is going on with Karena Sylvester, CPA. She has worked with some of you for over twenty years.
I took Karena to the Parkview Emergency Room at 5 PM on Sunday October 10th because she had stroke symptoms. On Wednesday October 13th she suffered additional strokes. Parkview did emergency brain surgery on Wednesday, October 13th. This surgery was very successful and the clot was removed. Karena has shown noticeable improvements since the surgery was performed.
Karena’s condition can and will likely change. I am going to do everything I can to ensure the best possible outcome for my wife. We cannot predict the long-term future; however, here is what I am expecting based on conversations with a dozen people after Parkview redid all of the tests while Karena is in the ICU on Thursday October 14th.
I think she will be moved to The Randallia Rehabilitation Center Saturday October 16th.
I expect her to undergo three hours of physical, occupational, and speech therapy every day. I think she will be there 7-10 days.
I expect her to recover from home through April 15th, 2022.
Karena will not be working until April 16th, 2022. She may or may not be able to return to work and I will keep you updated on her status. There is just no way to tell at this point but there is a good chance she will be able to work again somewhere between the 6- and 12-month point.
Our Partner Brent Bracht as well as all of our staff did an amazing job and they managed to get everything handled that needed to be handled by the October 15th deadline. They worked a lot of hours and they are awesome!
Karena’s Doctor and Therapists have told me that Karena will be overwhelmed in the first portion of her recovery and that she needs to be left alone.
We ask the following:
- Losing Karena unexpectedly for the next six months is going to be difficult for all of us. Please be very patient with us. It is going to take us a while to get organized and we really need your patience and understanding in these difficult times.
- If you know a CPA or someone who has worked in public accounting and is looking for a job, please send them our way.
- Please do not call Karena’s cell phone.
- If you feel like you need to reach Karena for personal reasons we understand that, please email me at Mike@SBSCPAGroup.com and in the subject line please write Karena. I will get your message to her when she is ready for it and I will reply to you within 2 days.
- We will contact Karena’s clients and let them know whether Brent Bracht, CPA or Mike Sylvester, CPA will be handling their account. Please be patient with us; this is going to be a process and it is going to take a fair amount of time.
- My focus will be on helping my wife recover. I have a good support network and a great partner in Brent and we have an incredible staff at SBS CPA Group. Please be patient with me; I have a lot going on and I am going to be extremely grumpy and that should be expected. The next few weeks will be extremely challenging for me.
Karena has a long road to recovery; however, she is a very determined woman and I have faith that she will fully recover in 6-12 months. Karena puts a lot of value in her work and she loves her clients. She will work very hard to recover fully and return to work.
If you need something from us and you regularly work with a member of our staff (Shane Lengerich, Michael Salazar, Michelle Felger or Nathan Skinner) please call us at 260-407-5000 and ask for them or email them. If you only work with Karena then please call us at 260-407-5000 and ask for Brent or Mike. You can also email us:
Mike Sylvester, CPA